From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:16:34 -0500
I a recieving many posts on what WE can do against the bombardment of pet
retail with these early alter animals.

First of all -- at this point :

1- writing letters to local chain and pet shops asking them PLEASE NOT
to STOCK the new early altered Peter's Rabbits would be nice!  If you
are associated with any bunny rescues they can give you reasons ie: bunny
skin is very fragile- spay complications are higher with female bunnies
than with cats etc.

2- LETTERS TO THE EDITORS in all local newspapers--
Remind folks that animals are not and should not be used as gifts -
Easter is soon approaching- both ferrets & rabbits are traditional small
animal gifts!  Remind the readers that a wise choice is bringing home
pets consciously adopted through animal shelters- on Holidays or any day!

3- PET SHOP INTERVENTION -You can try to dissuade shoppers - tactfully,
at pet shops by offering advice and your experiences with the early
alter ferrets-- how many shoppers will be excited to hear the costs of
adrenal & insulinoma surgeries a few years down the road?  You may not
last long but intervention at any costs is worth a try!

4- START NOW - to amass support in your local state for abolishment of
early age of sale -- get a minimal an 8 week law - dewtermined by canine
eruption!  on the way-- UNLESS we get intervention from USDA -- it is
up to us to start the process- let local legislators know early alter
pets ( ie ferrets & rabbits) are unwise in consumer protection - as they
generate high veterinary expense and poor health to the animal.  We have
managed to get 8 weeks age of sale in 2 states nationally-- lets go for
more-- then more states that enact the regulations will demonstrate to
USDA there IS A NEED!

THE MAIN PROBLEM IS If one company starts this tasteless marketing ( AND
IT HAS) the problem is more competitors will follow -- none of them want
to lose any profits.... History has shown this to be the case with
ferrets -- I can barely remember when ferrets were sold at 12 weeks of
age with a 10 week neuter--- then it was common for ferrets to live to
9 1/2 years.... not so now.

For the rabbit folks -- I am not a bunny expert- I cannot state what is
a safe age for early neuter / spay of a rabbit - or for age of sale?????
perhaps there is a bunny expert or vet on list that can enlighten us
all!????

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER SO- lets step up and take efforts for THE
ANIMALS!

Alicia D