Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:30:09 -0400
For a long time, my opinion about which sex made for a better pet kept
changing in response to more experience with and exposure to different
ferrets.  Now I think I've finally gotten it figured out.  We are
currently owned by 10 ferrets: five boys and five girls.  For the longest
time, I thought boys were cuddlier than girls, because our Jack is just a
big (nearly 4 pounds) mushy lump of love.  Enter Porcha, the teeny tiny
dark silver blaze jill.  She is AT LEAST as snuggly as Jack and in fact
will curl up to sleep on any available lap and stay there indefinitely.
On the other hand, Reggie (a girl and our first ferret) and Archie
(ferret #2 and the oldest boy) are equally independent, strong-willed,
domineering, energetic, and playful.  Gloria (girl) and Perkins (boy)
will both give lots and lots of kisses, but squirm to get down after a
minute or two of cuddling.  Stanley, Otto, and Brea all prefer to do
their own thing, but will tolerate being held for random varying lengths
of time.  And Claire...well, Claire is our red-eyed monster who
terrorizes everyone else, yet loves to give kisses and be cuddled by
humans.

Get to the point, you say?!  Well, my conclusion is as follows; all of
my ferrets are individuals who may share some characteristics to a
greater or lesser degree, but not with any definable pattern of gender
predisposition.  They're all unique and they're all perfect pets in their
own ways and their genders are irrelevant. :)

Joli