From:
Amber Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 08:59:22 -0800
Sorry there are so many subjects.. I write when i get a chance.

I'm a soda junkie..  I ALWAYS have a soda nearby... well, when I first
moved in with my sister and she had ferrets, I didn't know they could get
up high for one thing..  and for another, I didn't think they would like
soda!  Maeve would go out of her way to get my soda..  sticking her nose
in and if it was a just opened soda, she would stick her paw in!  If it
was a soda in a cup, she'd steal the straw!  The other ferrets liked soda,
but not as much as Maeve.  Their soda of choice?  Coke.. or Code Red Mtn.
Dew.

I can't remember if I told Nag's story or not..  Nag is a snake.  Shortly
after my Gee (a ferret) passed away, I was walking home and there was
something thrashing around in a pile of leaves..  Closer look showed it
to be a itty bitty snake (6-8" long) it wasn't a rattlesnake, so I picked
it up (pretty dumb huh?  Could've been a poisonus snake) anyway, I put it
in my purse and took it to the vet.  He had been attacked by a kid.  They
found the kid doing the same thing to a lizard not long ago, but they
can't do anything to him.  He had a few slashes (not scratches..  slashes)
anyway, he wasn't supposed to make it..  I had bought him a tank and some
goodies..  He not only made it..  he is doing wonderful!  He went to his
new home yesterday, he now lives with a lady who rescused garden snakes.

A new critter came home on Friday.  Her name is Calamity Jane (CJ for
short) she is a ferret..  a super silly, bouncy happy fully of joy
young'n!  She is about a year and a half.  She is a joy.  She has a hair
fetish, she sleeps in my hair, she plays in my hair, she will climb me to
play in my hair.  She is a nut, and she lives up to her name!

I agree and disagree with the shelters not adopting to families with
kids..  you see, I have two kids who are VERY different when it comes to
animals.  My little girl loves and adores animals of any kind.  She is
very good with them and loves to help take care of them.  She used to sit
on the couch holding my elderly/sick critters and sing them lullabies.
My little boy on the other hand..  he is not cruel to pets, but he has no
use for them.  He is more interested in playing on the computer or jumping
on the trampoline than playing with something fuzzy.  I can see not
adopting to families with small children as a general rule..  you don't
want the fuzzies to get hurt.  But I can't help but wonder..  if you
encourage people to bring their fuzzies to see if they get along with
another fuzzie (or at least some shelters do..) why can't you do the same
for a child?  Have them meet the fuzzy and see how they interact... Ok, I
know that shelters are busy, but it would take the same amount of time as
a fuzzie meeting a fuzzie?