Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:46:34 -0800
Hello All!

I was the one who initially re-posted this issue on the FML several
months ago when I moved into my newly carpeted (not painted) condo and
began noticing my furkids reacting horribly to (what I didn't know then)
was the gases being omitted by the new carpet that had been installed the
week before I moved in.  Here's what happened in my situation and what I
recommend to others:

(PREFACE: Keep in mind that I'm certain one of my furkids was also
developing insulinoma issues simultaneous to the move and has since
been "officially" diagnosed with insulinoma and in on Prednisolone for
this.  Therefore the classic "pawing at the mouth, gagging, choking,
drooling/foaming" symptoms she was displaying *could* very well have
either been b/c of the carpet gases being emitted OR the onset of
insulinoma or both.  I'll never know but I just thought it was extremely
ironic that both she AND my other HEALTHY ferret began displaying these
symptoms the day after we "officially" settled in to the new place and
they were walking on and sniffing the new carpet.

That being said, here is my recommendation(s):

1. Immediately after the carpet is laid, begin airing out and
ventilating all of the carpeted areas as much as possible (open windows,
set out fans, etc).  This will dramatically increase the time that it
takes for the gases to dissipate.

2. If there's any question whether or not the gases have dissapated
enough for it to be safe to move in or use the carpeted areas, both of
the vets I use *strongly* recommended steam-cleaning the carpet with a
professional steam cleaner buy using only hot water and VINEGAR.  Both
said this will rapidly speed up the process of the gases evaporating.

3. I'm not sure if there's any way to actually "test" the carpet before
you begin using the carpeted rooms, to see if the gases have evaporated
and won't be an issue, but I guess you will know it's still a problem if
you see any 'out-of-the-ordinary' behavior from your furkid(s).  For me,
as I mentioned, my ferrets began gagging, pawing at their mouths, and
drooling/foaming as if they either were suffering from insulinoma or had
ingested something awful.

4. OH, ALSO keep in mind that some carpet manufacturers PRE-TREAT their
carpets with stain-proof, silicone-type liquid materials so if you are
able to find out the manufacturers name, I would *strongly* suggest
contacting them to find out if this is the case with any new carpet.
I know this sounds like a hassle but is WELL-WORTH knowing as much as
possible about what is ON the carpet before it arrives in the event that
you'd have a reaction problem that would warrant a vet visit.

REMEMBER that the amount of time it takes for the gases/fumes/odors to
completely evaporate can depend on:
A) The carpet brand/type itself and
B) How well the newly carpeted areas are ventilated (and possibly steam
   cleaned with the vinegar solution as well)

Unfortunately it took almost two weeks until the furkids began acting
"normal" again but I hadn't ventilated the open spaces very well and I
was all set to do the vinegar steam cleaning when I noticed the problem
had cleared up by itself finally.

Jennifer and the dynamic duo, Sasha & Snowball :-)