Date:
Sat, 25 May 2002 18:50:32 -0700
I assume, from searching the FML archives, that ferrets can get heartworm,
that they should be tested, and that they can be put on preventative.
(right?) Does anyone have a list of which animals can get heartworm and
which cannot?  (I guess I'm not clear what constitutes a susceptible
animal.  Dogs/cats/ferrets...anything else?)

Also, can ferrets get FIV from an infected cat or is that specific to
felines?

I saw a couple of new products and was curious what opinions of them
ferret-knowledgeable people would have.  First, Jeffer's Pet Catalogue
shows springs that you put across corners in a ferret's cage to stop them
from 'backing' into corners you want to keep clean.  I rather doubt they'd
work (I think my ferrets would leave a pile right in front of the spring
if they so desired), but do you think they're safe or worth suggesting to
people who are having litterbox difficulties?

The other is Zoo Med's Can-o-Products, such as Can-o-worms,
Can-o-grasshoppers, Can-o-snails, etc., which are all dead foods.
They're newest display lists most of them as suitable treats for ferrets
(as well as cats).  Do you think a ferret would like them, and are there
advantages/disadvantages to giving a ferret a bug as a treat?

Kara (& the 13 Co.)