From:
Lisa Carswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:58:24 -0400
>... i have a question about heartworm.  are ferrets susceptible to them?
>i had thought they were, so i took murphy to the vet and she said that the
>ONLY animals they can kill are dogs.  she said they can get into a cat or
>a ferret, but because it's not the optimum host, they can't reproduce or
>something?  anyway, she STRONGLY urged me NOT to get the heartgaurd
>preventative...

Hi, Vicky.  My understanding is that ferrets can indeed get heartworms.  I
do believe that the chances of them getting them are slimmer than for a
dog, since ferrets tend not to be outdoors as much as dogs, but heartworms
are still a possibility.  But of course, I live in Georgia, which is
mosquito heaven, and my vet recommends that all dogs, cats, and ferrets he
sees be given heartworm preventative at least during the summer when
"skeeters" are most active.  He does leave it to the owner's discretion,
but since the occasional mosquito has been known to slip into the house
when someone was coming or going, I'd rather be safe than sorry with my
fuzzies.  If mosquitoes are plentiful where you live, I'd suggest staying
on the safe side as well and giving your babies a heartworm
preventative...mine use the cat dosage.

Dooks,
Lisa
Mom of Zorro, Claudia, Loki, Fezzik, Crysin, and Kyra Monchichi
"He screams and screams and pounds his head against the wall
until phantom fire trucks race across his vision.

All he wants is pain. Pain and hate.

Yes, hate. But never fear.

Fear is for the enemy. Fear and bullets."
                     --J. O'Barr
                       _The Crow_