From:
Kimberly Platz and Toby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 1996 23:33:21 -0400
Hi all!  I haven't written in a while but have been reading faithfully.
Graduate school, moving, and a new job have kept my VERY busy!  I am curious
if there are other ferret-owned persons in the Lancaster, PA area???

I too have a mind reading / psychic ferret!  Toby always knows when I am
trying to sneak into the laundry room (it's NOT ferret proofed so he is not
allowed in there).  Suddenly from a deep sleep in another room - he's there
waiting to make a run for it!!!  This doorway is in the middle of the
hallway and I walk past it a hundred times a day - he never notices until I
need to go in there!

He also did this once when I thought I had caged him.  I always cage him
when I will be gone for an extended period of time (a couple of hours...).
I had cleaned his cage that morning and not closed it properly.  Well, I was
about to open the front door of my apartment when I looked down to find,
Toby at my feet!  It was a shock but I was thankful not to come home to find
him missing and/or the house destroyed!!!

For the person whose ferret's foot is taped up: Please watch carefully to be
sure that the ferret is not eating the tape.  When Toby broke his leg, the
vet recounted many ferret leg injuries that ended up being blockage
surguries.  The ferrets ATE the splint.  By the way, Toby was pretty good
about staying off the broken leg until it mended.  He was "condemmed" to
cage rest for several weeks.  Of course when he started hanging from the top
by his teeth and then dropping to the bottom - I paroled him!  ;)

Finally, I just wanted to share my joy.  Toby slept in my lap today for
thirty minutes!  I have never seen him stay put in one place for that long --
let alone on my lap!!!  You know the saying, that ferrets have two speeds:
hyper and off?  Well, Toby seems to have taken this seriously!  He used to
wake up and stretch and yawn.  Lately, he breaks into a run from a dead
sleep.  It's quite startling...

All the fuzzies and the not-so-fuzzies, take care!  For the humans, always
remember how special it is to be loved by another creature!

Kimberly and Toby (Zzzzzzz - Vvvvvroom)