From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 11:40:07 -0700
Someone wrote:
>Subject: The Meow Mix defense
>You don't understand, I tried to wean Ootz off Meow Mix when she was the
>only ferret.  If did not work.  She will not eat anything that does not
>taste like MM.  She did not eat for a about a week one time because I would
>not put anything but MF ferret food in her bowl.

That's not how you get the stubborn ones to switch.

>I mean what am I supposed to do?  Let Ootz starve because hshe doesnot
>likethe taste of ferret food?

As I explained in my previous previous post, you must prepare a mush that
can be hand-fed, which is made from the proper foods (I'll give you a
formula to use), and work with that until the taste becomes familiar and she
will readily accept the *good* foods.  You change the formula as you go
along and slowly get her onto dry food again, but this time it's the dry
food of YOUR choice.  I hope you will NOT try to get her on KayTee I have
seen serious health problems after a ferret has been on KayTee and it has
far too much of the unwanted ingredients, the "pelleted form" speaks for
itself.  Remember that Ootz is not eating the MM because it is good for her,
but because there are ingredients that "taste" good, how do you think they
"hook" cats on the stuff??  I haven't seen too many cats (or ferrets)
raiding corn crops.

If you are not up to this challenge, I am, and proper nutrition is so
important to me that I will take Ootz for however long it takes to get her
to switch without charging you a boarding fee...only for the cost of food
she eats.  I've fought with the best of them and *succeded*, the *only*
compromise I have ever made is with one single ferret, Fruitloop, he is
older and I think his sense of smell is gone so he won't eat anything that
doesn't have a strong odor, so he's on the best food I can find with a
strong smell, Iams Ocean Fish and Rice Formula Catfood, still a far, far
better food than Meow Mix, KayTee, and alot of other foods out there.

Please consider what I have said.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter