From:
Sharon Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 18:19:13 EST
In support of Bob's C.'s info about diet restriction, I read this in a
newsletter from Johns Hopkins Medical Center:

"Many studies have shown that aminals placed on severe calorie-restricted
diets throughout adulthood live 30% to 40% longer than animals kept on
regular diets.  The animals in these studies also show fewer signs of
aging and have fewer chronic medical problems, including cancer."

Of course, they don't recommend this for very old or ill animals (or
humans).

What I am curious about, for all people who have had lots of ferrets or
shelters, is were the ferrets who lived to an old age 8+ thin?  It would
be interesting to take a poll.

I would imagine that exercise plays a role in all of this too, since a
very active animal can eat more without getting fat.

(Rocky loves this discussion.  Since he isn't interested in food, he's
looking forward to a long life!!!  Bob C.-- he will haunt you if this
isn't true.)

Shron + Rocky

P.S.  Note to BIG re: chicken gravy threat: Yes, I am known as the
"Chicken Gravy Stalker."  Let this be a warning to anyone with ferrets
who lives in the NYC area.  I will show up on your doorstep and force
you to take my chicken gravy and feed it to your ferrets!

BTW, do you know of a shelter I can get to by public transportation?
Please email me if it is "underground." I will keep info confidential.
We ferret outlaws have to stick together.

[BIG asks: depends what you mean by public transportation.  Do commuter
lines or 90 minute subway rides count?  BIG]