From:
"Bruce H. Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 18:58:33 -0700
To Rochelle Newman:

>I'm sure there are a lot of true sensitivity reactions out there - but
>I'm really beginning to wonder if a lot of the lesser reactions (vomiting,
>weariness, getting all hot from blood going to the extremities, etc.) might
>not be caused by the ordeal, rather than the shot...

     Rochelle - I think ther is a lot of truth in what you say.  For many
animal, especially cats, a trip to the vets is a stressful experience
(although many ferrets think it's great to get out of the house).  But you
have to factor in the adverse effects of travel, heat, new surroundings,
and, as we've said bvefore, the injection of a live virus into their bodies.
They are supposed to have a reaction to the vaccine.  Most of the time, the
reaction is subclinical, with a mild fever, perhaps a little malaise, etc.

    So let's not chalk everything up to a vaccine reaction.  Anaphylaxis,
yes.  Vomiting, probably.  Lethargy and poor appetite for a day or so -
probably not.

Bruce H. Williams, DVM         Dept. of Veterinary Pathology
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath    Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
[log in to unmask]         Washington, D.C.  20306-6000