From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:07:37 -0400
>We have a ferret that is 6 mo. and we can not keep him out of the dog
>food.  He thinks he is a dog and he plays with the dogs, eats and sleeps
>with them when he is out.  The dog food is Iams will it hurt him?  It is
>Maturity and from what I see it is chicken based.  He eats his ferret
>food to.  Should I set the dog food up when he is out?  Or is it ok if he
>eats some of the Iams to?
>
>Thank you
>Judy

If he has a tiny bit as a treat now and then it won't, but if it's
displacing his ferret food then, YES, it WILL hurt him.  It lacks taurine
(so could blind him and possibly hurt his heart), the protein levels are
too low (malnutrition), and a host of other differences are also there
which make it bad for him.  Stick to a reputable ferret food.