From:
"K. Sherman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 21:49:28 -0400
On July 12, I posted information in regards to the rabid ferret here in
Brevard County.  We now have further information and I need to make a few
corrections.  I apologize for the errors and the delay in correcting them,
I've been swamped with other projects.  (Happily, we adopted out 5 ferrets
this week!  :) )

I stated before that the ferret was asymptomatic, this was my error, the
ferret was symptomatic displaying hind end paralysis, lethargy, lack of
appetite, facial twitching, and depression with intermitent aggression.

From the documentation that I have received so far, specifically the bite
reports and the rabies test forms, I have compiled a history of the events
that took place. (Keep in mind that the ferret is a free roaming ferret on
a ranch.)

  6-24  Owner bitten on heel
  7-2   Beasley is observed biting Tippy on the neck
  7-3   Beasley found outside acting abnormally; lethargic, unfocused
         and in pain
  7-6   Beasley taken to vet
  7-6   Beasley bites ferret sitter on index and left middle finger
  7-7   Beasley dies
  7-10  Beasley reported positive
  7-10  Tippy killed
  7-12  Tippy reported negative

Two adults and one child are undergoing post-exposure rabies treatment and
two veterinary staff members are receiving prophylactic rabies boosters.

The brain of the rabid ferret was sent to Charles Rupprecht VMD, PhD at the
CDC to determine the strain of rabies involved. While I have not received
the test results hardcopy, I have been advised that the variant was
raccoon.

I will snail-mail copies of the paperwork I have to anyone who would like
them, but I don't feel comfortable including the victim's names in this post.

IMHO:

This situation could have been avoided.  In February, Brevard Ferret Lovers
Rescue (BFLR) went before the Brevard County Commision and requested that
the Commission mandate rabies vaccinations for ferrets.

The county attorney researched the question if the county could require
vaccinations when the state does not and found that they could legally
mandate this.  No further action was taken by the Commission.

BFLR were advised at a later Commission meeting that the County would
sponsor legislation in Tallahassee and to pursue the quarantine matter on a
state level.  We were assured verbally by Dr. Manuel Garcia, Director HRS
Public Health Unit, that the County would assess each bite/scratch incident
on an individual basis.

After the rabid incident occured, Dr Garcia backpeddled and now states that
he advises that they "will continue with the State Health Office
recommendation to euthanize and test ferrets involved in biting incidents."
This statement came to us attached to an "HRS Wondergram" that discussed the
rabid ferret case history.

The case history began with "the first case of rabies in a ferret from
Florida" and yet was concluded with an editorial that stated "At the present
time, the HRS State Health Office considers the ferret to be a high-risk
animal for rabies.  We recomment that all ferrets involved in bite
incidents, regardless of the provocation, origin of the animal, or
vaccination status, be euthanized and tested for rabies."

Excuse me, but what did I miss here?  If ferrets are such a high-risk
animal, then why was this the first rabid ferret?  What about the Compendium
of Animal Rabies Control's recommendation?

Marie Wallace, Director of Community Awareness for BFLR, has been in contact
with Dr. Charles Rupprecht throughout this battle and will be asking him to
chat with our misguided HRS Epidemiology officials.  I hope that he is able
to talk some sense into them!

As if to add insult to injury (It actually does not surprise me that much)
the first State Legislator we contacted to see about presenting the bill to
the State Legislation for the quarantine period, turned us down saying that
the state needed further information (complete 6 part shedding study, then
another study of that study) before they could begin to consider this
legislation.

At this point, I think we need to contact everyone in Florida that we can.
So, if you live in Florida, please let me know.  Even if you only write a
letter to your state legislator, we need all the backing that we can get!
Or if you've got some spare time to give to this, please contact me either
through email or through the *Star Database!

Watch for our web-page, soon to be up!

Happy ferreting

Susie