From:
Michael Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:03:44 -0500
>From:    Joy Lenay Kerin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Doses of Pediapred and Diazoxide (Proglycem)
>
>Anyway, I've read a lot in the archives about the max dose of pred, but
>have not ever read exactly what that max dose is?  I will be seeing the
>vet by Monday (when the diazoxide she ordered comes in) and I'll ask her
>then, but I thought there would be different opinions on this subject.
>Also she said the dose for the diazoxide would be 1.0 ml twice a day ...
>is this what most people would start out at?

First we need to talk about this in milligrams, rather than milliliters.
There's no telling (without seeing the label) how much of the active drug
there is in a ml of what you're giving as it can vary by the type/brand.
Usually (but not always) the pred we give our ferrets is 1.0 mg/ml.  If
we're talking about Diazoxide, then we're most likely discussing Proglycem
brand, which is 50mg/ml of diazoxide.

That said... It's generally believed that the maximum EFFECTIVE dose of
pred is about 2.0 mg per kg, twice a day.  On the other hand, I know some
that have given their ferrets as much as 5.0 mg's twice a day with good
results.  I don't know at what level it would become unsafe and cause
other problems.

As for diazoxide... if we're talking about Proglycem at 50 mg/ml, a
1.0 ml dose twice a day is a WHOPPING starting dose, and nearly double the
recommended daily maximum.  The recommended starting dose is 5-10 mg/kg
(0.1 - 0.2 ml) twice a day.  I think you should discuss this with your vet.

Please keep in mind that some ferrets do not tolerate diazoxide well at
all, and for some ferrets, it does not improve their glucose levels.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-752-7040
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.ferrethealth.info
*