From:
Tracy Browne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 07:07:05 -0500
There has been recent discussion of the use of hydrogen peroxide for
wound care.  This is no longer considered the therapy of choice, except
in the case of a very 'dirty' or contaminated wound and then, only for
the initial irrigation.  Use of H202 beyond that will delay wound
healing.

I am an RN in a cardiovascular unit and also have taken extensive
training on care of skin and wounds.  (In humans, of course).  One thing
that is stressed is NOT to use hydrogen peroxide for incisions.  It tends
to dry out the incision and cause MORE itching.  The bubbling action can
also cause DELAYED wound healing.  I have not seen any recent medical
research that supports the use of hydrogen peroxide in post-operative
incisions.  There has been a trend away from the use of hydrogen peroxide
in the treatment of wounds and incisions in the medical field.  I'm
curious to know if the veterinary profession has seen a different trend?
Please see below for a short list of recent research:

http://www.medicaledu.com/otheragents.htm

http://www.nurseminerva.co.uk/wound.htm

http://www.smtl.co.uk/cgi-bin/HyperNews/get.cgi/wounds/21.html?inline=1
&nogifs

I would recommend that hydrogen peroxide NOT be used for general wound
care, except as stated above.

Instead, the prefered approach to wound care is to just to clean with
soap and water.

Tracy Browne