Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:30:48 -0700
Helen and Ceridwen, the two ferrets I adopted, are slowly getting on in
years, and will be five come September.  Perhaps I am giving in a little to
the prospect that ferrets get geriatric pretty quickly, but I would rather
not think such things until they really start demonstrating older behavior,
slowing down, etc... Anyways.  I was wondering.  Ceridwen is doing just
peachy, but Helen had a benign tumor removed not too long ago.  She seems to
be as active as ever, bouncing around and beating up on poor little Trill
who is twice her size.  *grins* So she seems just fine.  However, she has
been losing fur along her spine from halfway down her back to about her
butt.  I can't figure out why.  I have been giving her more linatone and
some felovite, but she hasnt been regaining any hair.  Is it possible she
has adrenal problems??

On another note, I have been thinking about what to do should one of my
ferrets become deathly ill or be suffering.  I really feel that I would
rather not have them die at the vet and have them disposed of.  At the VERY
least I would want to take them to the vet and have the poor ferret put out
or whatnot and then bring her home so the other ferrets don't have to wander
for weeks and wonder where she is.  However, I really don't like that option
either, because I would rather she be home in my arms if she were eyeing the
Rainbow Bridge.  Therefore, my question and plea for help is this: Is there
anything I can do at home to put them to sleep myself painlessly, should
there ultimately be no other option after consulting a veterinary
professional about the terminal condition of the ferret?

I am hoping this is not something I will have to deal with for another five
years, but you never know.  And I would rather be prepared now.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Dave Welch
Rune, Trill, Helen, and Ceridwen