From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 15:06:39 -0500
>From:    "HARRISON,REGINA,MS" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: coat color;couches;2nd Noah
>First question, coat color-- what would you call a ferret with a black
>stripe that reaches from forehead and back down the neck almost to the
>shoulders?  It would have to be a white stripe to be a badger, right?

Any other markings?  If this is a sable (color) and Amelia currently has a
mask that runs down instead of across.  I don't know a formal name for this
in the AFA standard.  I've heard all kinds of names for ferret patterns that
mean nothing to me though such as 'hooded'.

>On a semi-related note, I am really enjoying the history lessons from Bill
>and Bob

Thanks.  Its been fun from my side.  Poor Bob has the hard questions given
to him though.

>Also, if the steppe polecat can interbreed with the black-footed ferret,
>would it make any sense to try to beef up the b-f ferret numbers with some
>careful interbreeding?  Just a thought.

They are using the Steppe Polecat in the BFF program.  If they do to much
interbreeding the BFF will lose its uniqueness.  There are occaissional
posts about needing homes for the retired Steppe Poleys here.

>The statement was that the ferrets are prone to heatstroke (good info to
>give people, esp in Florida) and to dip them in water to prevent it
>(definitely more questionable advice, esp in humid florida).  Two steps
>forward, one step back...

I understand using water to cool is an acceptable method even for people.
Even if humid.  But of course that is only if the water is cooler than the
air.  Boiling ferrets is a bad thing.  Using water to reduce body
temperature is a good thing.  But if the vets have more specific info on
this I'd be real glad to hear it.

>From:    Doug Gerald <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: New to FML - Need help with with School District ban.
>The person currently resopnsible for writing the policy manual for the
>district stated that she would be open to a review if we could show good
>reason why there should be no ban.

Seems backwards.  Is there a ban on cats and dogs?  Many more cases of nasty
bites and scratches from these honestly more vicious animals.  (I have dogs,
cats AND ferrets, I mean this relatively of course.  Dogs and cats CAN be
gentle.) If dogs and cats are allowed dispite their records for causing
injury I would think ferrets should be acceptable.

IMRAB is accepted by the USDA as effective in ferrets.

>From:    shanon &/or mitch <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sable to Sterling Silver?
>Our sable is turning into a sterling silver.  Is this possible?

Not likely.  A silver is defined by having black (and white) guard hairs
and white feet.  A Sable has brown to almost black (really really close
sometimes) guard hairs.

Roaning is a pattern than is extremely common in silvers (AFA blacks)
that causes an increase over time of white guard hairs.  This is what is
happening to those you call your silvers.  They may eventually be real
dark eyed whites (albinoes have red eyes not ruby to black).

>Now what do we call him?  Also our whanna be blaze is slowly losing her
>blaze as it matches her new coloring will she get it back this winter?

Probably still a wanna-be.  Usually a wanna-be is a blaze without a good
blaze.  Should still have white feet, possibly white blotches on the belly.
Wanna-bes with white feet and no blaze or splotch on the head are just
called mitts.  Though this kind of mitt is different from the mitt on a
black (silver).

>does anyone know where theres a pic of a Fitch?  I never heard of
>them until just now.  do they look like ferrets?

You'd be unlikely to see the difference.  Bob could better tell you the
differences since they are in the skull.  Eyes and ears are placed ever so
slightly different if the polecat skull more than the ferret skull is
present.

>From:    "Barry L. Brumitt" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hyperadrenalcorticism
>Does anyone know of a vet in the Eastern PA or Western OH area who has
>experience with this surgery?  Or, can you point me to Dr. Kawaski
>(spelling?) in VA who is mentioned in the FAQ?

Dr. Kawasaki (we will always call him Dr. K or Dr. Kawasaki - he's earned
his title) works (and lives) some five minutes from us.  He does get a lot
of folks coming down from the North.

Call (703)494-0094/(703)690-2580.  He seems to welcome questions from
other vets.  I can give directions in private email to folks who need to
get there - send us email if you'd like them.  Since its like directions
to our place we know all the best routes.

He has done adrenal surgery on one of our ferrets and she has done extremely
well for a few years.

Good luck.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets