From:
Ela Heyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 18:16:07 EDT
To Sheena and others interested in ivermeticin:

My vet is the one who stated that ivermeticin can cause deafness in ferrets.
I had read an article in the UFO newsletter about ivermeticin for ear mites,
and I mentioned it to the vet when I brought my Fred in.  His (or her ...
can't remember which of the two vets it was) commented that he didn't want
to use it, since it can cause deafness in ferrets.

The vet hospital I go to is Clark Animal Hospital in Rahway, NJ, and the
number is 908-388-3379.  My vets are Dr. Stanley Newman and Dr. Phyllis
King ... I just can't remember which of the two gave me that information.

- Ela

[Moderator's note: Ivermectin can also be given as an injection to knock
out earmites as well as other parasites.  Maybe that would eliminate the
worry about hearing loss?  Might be worth checking with your vet.  BIG]