From:
Ellen McEnhill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 14:02:52 -0600
Jena,
Sorry about the time lag in this response, I am a little behind in reading
the FML.  I hope you get this information before they spray.  I wouldn't be
too worried about them spraying your area.  I would suggest that you do not
take your fuzzies out of the house though for 12 - 24 hours after they spray
and to take your shoes off when you come in the house so they don't lick and
residue off of them.  Bacillus thruingiensis (Bt) is a bacteria that will
inhibit the larvae from eating the foliage in the trees.  Because it is a
bacteria, not a chemical, it is one of the milder (but effective)
insecticides, and most of it will stay on the leaves in the trees.  I don't
know specifically what brand of Bt they are planning on spraying, but most
Bt's have a 12 hr restricted entry interval when used in a field (according
to the MSDS's).  this is why I said to keep them in for 12 hours after they
spray.  Your fuzzies are much closer to the ground than you are and weigh a
lot less, so they could be affected where you would not.  These are just
some extra precautions that you could take.  If they specifically said that
it is OK for pets, then it probably is.  There are some pretty strict
regulations of pesticide applications.

BTW, I know about this because I work in a lab that does Integrated Pest
Management (IPM) studies on vegetable crops and we test some experimental
pesticides (therefore I am a certified pesticide applicator).  We have
worked with several vegetable forms of Bt pesticided.  The fact that they
are using a IPM strategy is a good thing.  This means that they will use
other means besides just a routine spray cycle of chemicals to get the
problem under control, and living in Michigan, I can attest to what Gypsy
Moths can do.  They are VERY nasty.

If you have any other questions about this please feel free to e-mail me at

Ellen and the dog house duo (they uprooted a norfolk pine last night that
they had not been able to get to before)

I wish they would give us the teleport secrets so that we could use it too.

Ellen McEnhill