From:
Christine Haas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 19:17:02 CDT
Hi,

I want to bring up a subject that has the potential of being controversial.
Its about adrenal gland cancer.

I've been on this list since article 220-something, and have had ferrets
for awhile.  Health-wise, I've been very very fortunate, no sick ferrets
(other than the green virus, and one being deaf).  However, in the last 3
months, one of my 4 year olds came down with insulinoma, and the other with
adrenal gland cancer (patchy hair loss on back and flanks, bald stomach,
base of tail fur all gone, etc.)

I'd always heard, from the FML and the Medical FAQs, etc.  that if the
question was adrenal gland cancer, the answer was surgery.  And don't wait!

So, when I found out my Scooter had adrenal cancer, I looked at my calendar
and figured out what would be a good time for me for her to have the
surgery.  I called a friend of mine who runs a big ferret shelter and has
had ferrets for over 20 years.  She's seen *everything* when it comes to
ferrets.  She's helped me ever since I've had my ferrets, some of which I've
adopted at her shelter, and all of her advice had concurred with everything
in the medical FAQs and on the FML, until now.  Nowadays, a lot of people
come to me for advice, and she is the person that *I* go to advice for.

Much to my surprise, she disagreed with having surgery done for anyone over
3 years old.  (So did my vet).  Her reasons were as follows: When a ferret
has adrenal cancer, their adrenal gland secretes MORE adrenaline than
normal, hence they are more energetic and feel "better than normal." In all
of her experience, she has not seen a ferret "loose muscle mass" or "become
lethargic" due to adrenal cancer.  (Personally, Scooter is more active and
acts like she's two years younger).  She explained to me the precautions
required when caring for a bald ferret (overheating, too cold, skin
disorders, etc.).  She says that they have a year to two years to live, they
are not in any pain, and they die in their sleep.

My vet concurs with her.  He also added that surgery doesn't add anymore
time to the ferrets life, with or without surgery, their lifespan is the
same.  He also has not seen muscle mass loss or lethargy.  I trust him too,
as he was the editor of a Ferret Medical Journal for 7 years.  He has the
biggest ferret clientele in my city, and is the *only* vet I trust to do
work on my ferrets, because I know he is very knowledgeable and experienced
when it comes to ferrets.

So, to summarize, I wonder what Dr. Bruce Williams and [Dr.] Susan Brown
think...???  Since I've never seen this suggested before, I feel like I'm
going to get flamed her, but I do trust these two people as they have a lot
of experience.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Chris & Co (Scooter, Nina, Tavi Bear, Bailey & Georgie the cat).