From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 1995 20:33:51 -0700
To Heather Moore:

>I've been reading about chipped teeth in some of my saved FML's from May.
>The consensus seems to be that a chipped or broken tooth shouldn't be a
>problem unless it is discolored.  Well, I noticed that the tip one of
>Gypsy's canines is broken, and the tooth is slightly discolored.  She
>seems to have no problem eating (in fact she eats like a pig), and hasn't
>indicated any pain.  Should I still have a vet look at it, or should I
>just monitor the tooth and the surrounding gums myself for any problems?

If only the tip of the canine is broken, chances are that there is not
really any damage.  This is comonly seen in ferrets, and the pulp of the
canines does not really extend very far into the tooth.

    Best bet - watch and see.  She'll let you know if she's uncomfortable.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath