From:
Morgan Willard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 1996 12:33:08 -0400
After hearing about a ferret starter kit containing cedar chips produced by
the Hagen Company, I wrote a letter very nicely asking them to reconsider
because of the health hazards to the intended occupants.  I received a
letter from them which I would like to post here and see what the vets on
the list feel about it, if it is accurate or if there is documentable
rebuttal.  (I ask for Bill's apologies ahead of time for the length).  Here
goes:

To my fellow ferret and small mammal enthusiasts...

rolf C Hagen Inc., who provides my employment as a full time exotic animal
veterinarian, is the largest distributor of pet ferrets in Canada.  At our
holding facility in Montreal, we house several hundred young ferrets each
month or week.  Hagen is also the largest Canadian distributor of dwarf
rabbits, hamsters, dwarf hamsters, guinea pigs, chinchillas, gerbils and
mice.  These animals have been my responsibility since I started with Hagen
many years ago.  Another ferret veterinarian, Dr. Ruben Neumier, does an
excellent job managing our preventative medicine programs beforethe young
ferrets arrive, vaccinating, checking for ear mites, and performing early
spray/neuter/descent surgery to prevent problems such as estrus-induced
anemia.  My own qualifications include over 10 years in private practice
limited to exotic pets, and a masters degree and residency in Caged Pet
Medicine from the University of Saskatchewan (after my DVM).

We have had many inquiries about the safety of cedar when used with ferrets
and several other mammalian pets, and I have the following comments to make:

1) Hagen has used both cedar and pine in all of our small mammals with never
   a single case of allergy or adverse reaction to either one.

2) It is quite possible for individual animals to have an allergy to cedar
   terpenes, or just a "sensitivity: to the aroma if it is very strong, but
   this condition is rare.  I have never seen an animal presented for this
   problem, nor have any of my colleagues ever published a peer reviewed
   scientific study or case rleport regarding cedar adverse reactions in the
   ferret, rabbit, gerbil, hamster or any other pet.

3) The only existing studies involved mice, rats and chickens.  In all
   cases, ventilation did not approach what we recommend (zero tolerance for
   ammonia fumes, well ventilated wire enclosures).  Furthermore, the rats,
   mice and chickens showed no sign of any allergy.  Liver enzyme levels
   went up (no clinical effects) and cedar use was not recommended for
   research projects involving liver function tests.

4) Cedar is more costly than pine, and was originally selected to help
   minimize the strong odour produced by animals such as male mice or
   certain ferrets.  However, a starter kitonly contained a very small press
   pack (a sample), with nothing to prevent customers from selecting any
   bedding they wished should they decide that they did not like the cedar.
   Of course, all current starter kits are being switched over to pine,
   simply because of negative publicity re cedar found inthe lay press!

5) All pet mammal enclosures should be kept clean and well ventilated, cedar
   bedding or not.  Aquariums are poor choices for pets in the home, as the
   ventilation is usually inadequate and they are too heavy to clean easily.
   Ferrets can live in Critter Pens (H-292) when they are young, and then
   switched over the the giant Critter Pen Rabbit size cage (H-420).  This
   is large enough to place a litter box in, and newspaper can even be used
   on the floor once the ferret is trained to use the littberbox.

6) My own ferrets, Minky and Slinky, also live on cedar shavings and always
   have.  Their coats are glossy and thick, they have no respiratory
   problems, and they take great delight in burrowing through a fresh batch
   as I put it in each week.  They roam through the family room once daily,
   looking for all kinds of trouble, but have never had any with cedar
   shavings.  THe legions of other pets that also inhabit this house
   (including chinchillas, pygmy mice and teddy guinea pigs) also live on
   cedar because I prefer it.  I am sure that occasional animals might do
   better on other beddings, but I sincerely believe this is a rare problem,
   not a common one.

Louise Bauck BSc, DVM, MVSc.
Director of Veterinary Services

I would be interested to know if it is indeed a rarity.  If there is any
DOCUMENTED information to the contrary, I would like to forward it.

Thanks,

Morgan