From:
Kevin Farlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:06:25 -0700
>...I noticed that my little girl had what looked like a bite wound
>on her chest on her. I cleaned her up examined the spot it looked ok
>decided to watch he the next day. The next day it seemed deeper. It
>was the weekend. No vet open so I used for panalog and sulfur powder
>to dry the hole. I took he to the vet on Monday morning and when I
>arrived the area was still a hole but was still a hard lump like a
>infection and there was a black spot like a pimple next it. What it
>turned out to be was something called a cutereba which is something
>like a bot fly (please forgive the spelling) the vet had never seen
>one in a ferret. That was the most expensive piece of fish bait that
>I had ever seen.

We've had several ferrets come in to the shelter over the years with
cuterebra. Always strays that had spent time outside on their own.
Not frequently, but enough that when we examine new ferrets that are
strays, we always thoroughly check for them.

It's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen on a ferret. It needs to
be removed by a vet, and can get expensive if it requires sedation.

Kevin Farlee
Washington Ferret Rescue & Shelter