From:
"Sandy, Michael & 'Tater' Schieman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 1995 20:55:10 -0500
Hello out there in ferretland. We are Sandy & Michael Schieman in Decatur,
GA. Sandy is a computer programmer with her own fledgling, mailing oriented
pooter business here at home. I am an electrician and, so far, unpublished
science fiction author. 'Nuff about us.

Our son and daughter-in law purchased Tater at a local pet store about four
months ago. I immediatley began telling Sandy that we needed to get us a
ferret too. I have been pouting and sucking my thumb for quite a few years
because I wanted a skunk very badly. She quickly informed me that we did not
need a skunk since we already had nine cats who already let us live in their
house. But, dangit, I wanted a skunk! All that changed when I saw Tater for
the first time.

To make a long story short, I quickly began lobbying for a ferret to come
into our lives.  Sandy was quick to inform me that, if we did not need a
skunk, we certainly did not need a ferret - even though she had fallen as
much in love with the little critter as I had.  It was with mixed feelings
(not really) that, two weeks ago, we learned that our daughter-in-law had
found out that she was allergic, and badly so, to poor lil' ol' Tater.  I
whooped with glee when she informed me that Tater was coming to live with
us.  I instantly gave up all thoughts of skunks.

We were both a more than a little concerned about how our cats would react
to Tater's presence, so he moved into our bedroom, sleeps with us every
night - an adventure that should be shared with every sentient creature.
Our concern was that the cats would decide that Tater was something good to
eat and see him as a convenient meal.  We had become accustomed to having
the cats keep us warm at night during these long and hard Atlanta winters,
but, as soon as Tater moved in, the cats would have nothing to do with us.
Their noses were really out of joint.

Sandy came up with the idea of introducing the cats to Tater one at a time.
For the last several nights, Woden, our two year old 'ringtailed siamese'
has been allowed to come into the bedroom and get aquainted with Tater.
Tater loved the company and, last night, he and Woden were absolutely
lovey-dovery with each other.  Our qeustion is this: the rest of the cats
are still pretty out of joint about Tater.  Thor, Woden's brother, even
growls at us when he smells blanket weasel on us.  Is Woden the exception,
or can we expect the other cats to come to be best friends with Tater over
time?  We don't want to do anything that could bring hurt to any of our
chosen beasties, but we would like to have them coexist in peace in harmony
(critters seem to be much better at doing this than we 'intelligent
creatures' are).

Does anyone out there have any experience with cats and fuzzies who could
offer us some advice? We do love our kitties and we do love our fuzzy. Is
there any hope that they can live together in peace? Tater can take care of
himself where the cats are concerned, but we'd like them all to get along -
we don't want to have to make a choice. If it came right down to it, I think
I'd choose Tater in a heartbeat, but I do love my kitties too. Please help.

I'll hush now - Gawd I do love to hear myself type! Any advice will be
welcomed. We'd also like any information on ferret clubs, organizations and
shelters in the Atlanta area.

Thanks much,
Michael, Sandy & Tater ([log in to unmask])  And - Woden, Thor, Friga, Boris,
Natasha, Valentina, Friskie, Monster & Vincent.