From:
"Karen Purcell, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 22:27:21 +0000
>I was wondering though, do arsenic compounds realy exist in lettuce ???
>
>[Moderator's note: I should stay out of it given my track record with this,
>but...  I don't know about lettuce in particular, but there is arsenic in
>some pesticides - perhaps it's pesticide and not the lettuce, per se?  BIG]

Right on that one, BIG - lettuce itself does not contain arsenic, it's the
stuff sprayed on it.  This is one of the main reasons all veggies should be
washed before eating them.  The other biggie is avoiding the spread of
disease from soil contamination.

Hoping to clarify the issue,

-Dr. Karen