From:
Donna - Educated Ferret Assoc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jun 2002 00:12:25 EDT
Hello Again Callie here.  Back as I promised.  My class today is on toys
and things of joy.

As all you humans know we are all usually posessive of our toys.  We will
share our hammies, litter pan and food but please do not touch our toys.
I personally love our dingle ferrets.  Da Ma Ma designed them and one of
our foster Moms makes them up.  Thanks you so very much Darlene.  They are
so soft and almost the size of a 8 week old fuzzie.  They are shaped like
me and have a very long tail, and Da Ma Ma says there is a bell inside.  I
just know it talks back to me when I shake it real hard because I can feel
it.  It is shaped just right so I can put my paws around its belly and
carrie it all over.  I can pick it up with my mouth too and put it in my
den.  Oh yah!  Also awsome for twirling on my belly.  Da Ma Ma put a long
tail on it cause I told her that we needed a toy that you do not use your
hands with.  You see if you watch us play, we use our mouths to play with.
Mouth wars in the tubes is real cool.  Good practice.  So what most humans
don't know is if you shake your hand at me to play you are asking me to
bite you.  Now since we play with our mouths you that is how we challange
each other to play.  I told Da Ma Ma that what she calls wrists and ankes
are necks to me.  Talk about confusing a ferret.  You silly humans have
four necks and four mouths.  Your hands and toes are your mouth or toe
toys.  Now it is realy confusing for a deaf ferret as we cannot here you
tell us no bite.  Your skin is much more easy to chomp than our furry
tough stuff.  So the next time you shake your hand at us please remember
you are asking us to BITE you.  This is real confusing to a ferret and is
why deaf ferrets usually bit harder.  I was fortunate enought to teach Da
Ma Ma the paw language so I know when not to bite.  Her hands are to love,
and care for me.  The other toy that is my favorite is a dingle ball.
It is made by a volunteer from our shelter.  Thank you so very much Me
Bonnie.She uses a hook thing and it has rough stuff around it so I can
hold it with my teeth or nails.  It's got a talker in it too like the
dingle ferret.  I just love twirling one of these around my belly.  Fun
to flip across the floor and make Da Ma Ma chase it.  Oh have I got her
trained to fetch it.  Arielle love to take one and tuck it under her front
paws and pull it backwards all around the round trash bowl.  Silly girl
thinks she is putting it in her den but as smart as she is still does not
know no end to round bowl.  I may be deaf but I'm smart enought to know
that.  That is why I twirl and throw it.  Ferrets love balls but
personally I like the soft kind of toys.  I love to crack the hard balls
so Da Ma Ma does not give them too me.  You see I love the feel of the
vibration while cracking them.  My most favorite joy is the towel game.
Da Ma Ma and some other human takes one of our blankies or towel and
stretches it out.  The I jump in.  Oh how I love the trampoline.  I can
jump over a foot high if I feel like it.  I do get upset when Da Ma Ma
stops.  I have to try to dig it up to make it work again.  She also does
the rock, where they gently rock the towel like a giant hammie swing.
And then there is the roll.  I could have her do this all day.  Lets see
my favorite joy is using Da Ma Ma hammie cover where she sleeps.  Her and
da Foster Mom place me in side and make it go up and down, then roll it
gently.  Oh How I love to rock, roll and trampoline.  Bags are fun too,
but I must be watched, and not half as much fun unless there is another
ferret inside to jump on.  Well humans time to go.  I hope these lessons
I shared with you help you understand you deaf ferret better.

Oh!  Da Ma Ma said there was an email yesterday from Killiope on spinning.
I sure love doing this and Da Ma Ma says I am the only one out of nine
deaf ferrets that have come into the rescue that get pure joy from it.
Personally I find when I do this I get the most attention and since I
cannot tell my humans I want them to play with me or I want a cookie they
cannot resist me being so cute.  I always end the spin with a splay and
this realy gets to the humans.  Always gets me more loving.

If any of you humans wants to see some art work of me you can find the
beautiful planter Da Ma Ma wood burned at our web site:
This is our raffle item to raise funds for the ADV test kits Da Ma Ma has
to use when the new babies come into the rescue.  Three of the four
ferrets on it I POSED FOR.

[Moderator's note: Wow... I don't know where that attempt at a URL came
from!  I think Callie has a bit to learn about web addresses.  My guess
is that the URL should be:
http://webpages.charter.net/alfarr/html/Raffle.htm

How about it Callie -- did I get it right?  BIG]

Da Ma Ma calles me her silly sausage MMMMMMMM I wonder why.

If any humans have any questions send them to Da Ma Ma and I will see if
I can help her answere them.

Love
Callie