From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 11:18:19 -0700
I called United Vaccine today and asked them to have a vet call me, still
no response and it has been two hours.  Again, I am letting you people know
that they have not been helpful.

Previously, I posted information about the USDA and contacting them about
reactions.  Prior to going in for vaccines last Thursday, I had called
the USDA to see what they recommended.  They paged their on-staff vet
immediately, and he called me.  He explained about Fervac and that nobody
knows why this is happening, etc...he was very diplomatic.  It was Dr.
Starling and not only did he address my concerns on Thursday, but he also
followed up by calling me yesterday to see how everything turned out (this
was very appreciated).  I told him about the FML and he gave me some
information on reporting reactions.  Apparently, I was incorrect and it is
not the USDA to contact but the USPN.  Here is the contact information and
a URL to provide reaction reports online: 800-487-7776
www.usp.org/practrep/vprp.htm

I had never had any bad reactions to Fervac (well, my furkids, not me) in
all the years of use.  My vet does vaccinate by the scruff of the neck and
did an excellent job because my ferrets complied with little complaint.
Now, I cannot say that for when they have had vitamin shots administered -
it stings from what I was told.  It may be possible that the distributors
are handling the FERVAC wrong - that is a good analogy.  Either way, please
report every reaction.  It is more important to notify the above, versus
United, who in my opinion, are doing a very bad job with their customer
service personnel.

On Marshall Farms, I have contacted them in the past, and basically have
had "smoke blown where the sun don't shine".  In fact, I even asked them if
I could visit.  Their response was that no visitors are allowed because of
the "germ factor" BUT I even said I would wear a hazmat suit if needed.  Of
course, at this point, no more responses.  Wonder why not?  Those of you
who are TRYING to make a difference should be commended.  I wish you the
best of luck.  Those of you who say you have contacted them, I would love
to see who and when.  I have emailed customer service and requested to
speak to a breeder there, but no response.  If anyone has in-roads there,
they should post the information so that others can also contact the
decision makers at Marshall - not customer service people who wont do
anything but blow smoke.  Until anyone can come through with names of
decision makers to contact, I think we are beating a dead horse on this
issue.  Obviously, customer service has not changed anything, but they
are certainly good at evading the questions.  I am not certain that any
complaints are reaching the appropriate people (the owners and
decision-makers).  If anyone has proof to the contrary, please provide it.
Until then, let us move on to other topics.

On a less serious note...

How to teach your ferret not to beg:
1) Say "no treat" and then run like the wind (preferably in hard-ankled
   shoes)
2) ?

This is all I have tried so far.  If anyone would like to add to it, please
do so!

[HP]