From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:40:06 EDT
As usual Lissette, you are brilliant.  I want to know about those ferrets
as well.  I hope everybody writes in, because I'm very curious.  I'm
getting a new calendar myself and I want it to mean all the more with the
stories.

Rocky is in the calendar.  Rocky is a little sable shelter ferret that
came from a small shelter in TN that has since closed it's doors.  My
little autistic son, Sean, adopted him.  He earned this privilege by
controlling his violent behaviors towards people and animals.

It all began when I went out on a limb by purchasing my husband two kits
because he was sad that we had to cease owning pets and even plants due
to my son (my husband used to own ferrets and missed them so.) Sean
bonded with my husbands' two ferrets, and so we made a pact with him.  If
he could "keep it together" and if he kept up with contributing towards
the care of the ferrets without me ever asking him to ... we'd get him a
ferret.  Between Sean's handicap and the fact that he was a small boy, I
never thought much about this promise.  Sean became so bonded, that his
whole world opened up like we had never seen.  His social skills improved
and his language skills improved through his relationship with the
ferrets.  They became our "tools" as it were in teaching him.  I never
had to tell Sean to play with the ferrets.  And this boy who could not
brush his own teeth at the time, was changing ferret waters every day.
Many months passed, and we found ourselves at the shelter.

"I need a very special ferret", he had said to the operator.  And
although I myself, could not have decided on a pet that day, she matched
Sean up instantly.  Rocky was only three months old if that.  He had
freckles just like Sean.  He was a little slow, just like Sean.  He was
alone ... just like Sean.  The little ferret had come to a pet store so
young, that his eyes had not yet opened.  They say he fit in your hand.
He developed pneumonia.  And his eyes then became infected.  They thought
he'd be blind.  But the shelter parents toted him around in their pockets
everywhere they went keeping him warm and constantly fed, hydrated, and
medicated.  They never put him down, except at night.  This led to a huge
bond to people for him.  Even as a kit, he would just cuddle, kiss, and
love to sit and be held.  Perfect for Sean.

Sean has been his ferret daddy ever since.  He is an older man now, Rocky
is.  Sean has made it to puberty and is only in one special education
class this year.  I won't go on about Sean and his achievements.  Just
know that he is now your typical boy.  Rocky now battles lymphoma.  We
thought we'd loose him months ago.  Yet, here he is.  Living.  He wants
to live.  Don't we all ...

Wolfy
-- You can read Sean and Rocky's stories on my website ... they were
written years ago, when I was very ill.  So be patient with the typos
and poor English.

http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com