Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 18:57:17 EDT
Hello Debbie Phillips-Donaldson,

Thank you for the news that the photograph on page 10 of Ferrets!  will be
removed in any reprints of the book.  I also want to thank the author, Karen
Dustman, for her sensitivity to our concerns and her willingness to share
them with her publisher.

Had Fancy Publications not made such an effort to promote accurate ferret
information, as well as consistently supporting the California legalization
efforts, the photograph would still have been offensive, but perhaps not
shocking.

Californians for Ferret Legalizations hopes to mitigate any damage we might
have to our efforts with the purchase of a couple of the original prints
showing the ferret leashed.  That way, should the Department of Fish and
Game attempt to misuse the photograph in the book, we will be able to show
that the event was staged, and that the ferret was leashed.

I will be sure to forward your post and this reply to the Ferret Mailing
List so that ferret lovers will know that there are publishers that will
listen and not simply circle the wagons in the face of criticism.

Thank you for response.  I hope you will advise me if and when the book is
reprinted.

Sincerely,

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization