From:
Lesley Colton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 20:59:29 -0500
Silvadene cream is good to protect and heal raw skin, but it does keep
the area moist (which is what you want with burns). A trick we have
used for years in ICU (Intensive care units) for slow healing wounds,
decubitus, and gastric openings such as ostomies could be useful in
your ferret's case. We mixed liquid Maalox and a small amount of
cornstarch (just enough to thicken slightly) to apply to the areas.
It is a protective coating against urine, feces and gastric juices,
promotes granulation of the open areas and will help to dry out the
irritated skin. Plus, it is not harmful when taken internally, is
inexpensive and does not require a prescription.

Another idea maybe to treat with an anti-fungal since she may have
a yeasty growth in the area. Possibly use one made for oral yeast
infections since she WILL lick the area. This would most likely need
to be prescribed by your vet.

Hope this helps,
Lesley