From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 19:00:21 -0500
I run a shelter and we have what I feel is quite a dilemma on our hands.
The shelter has a number of ferrets that are in various stages of adrenal
disease and obviously in need of surgery.  The problem is, we can't afford
the surgeries and with all our other expenses, won't be able to for a long
time.  This may come too late for some and they will no doubt live out their
lives in our shelter with their adrenal problem.  Now, I am not soliciting
donations here.  We try to raise funds constantly and it's never enough to
cover all the surgeries needed.

The real reason I'm coming here with this is to get some opinions from all
of you, the caring ferret community.

Should we consider adopting these ferrets out in their current state of need
to KNOWLEDGEABLE, CARING ferret owners who are fully informed as to the care
and needs required and are willing to take on this responsibility?  If we
did this, are there those of you out there who would be willing to adopt
these needy adrenal ferrets?  We've had the same thoughts as you are
probably having right now... "What if these people don't get the adrenal
surgery done?" Well, quite honestly the ferrets aren't getting it here, and
at least in a private home they will probably get a little more personal
attention than they do at the moment.  And so they may still live out their
life with the problem, but at least they'll have a loving home during that
time.

To other shelter owners out there; do you adopt out ferrets in need of
surgery?  And if so, is it on the condition that the adopter gets the
surgery done?  And, if that's the case, what means do you use to insure they
actually do it and what do you do if they don't?

If we actually chose to go this route, we could not ship the ferrets because
of the obvious stress on them, so those willing to do this would have to
also be willing to engage in some sort of relay.

I know some of you are thinking, "Oh, how horrible you are.  You took on
this responsibility now you have to deal with it." Believe me I've thought
this to myself a thousand times.  Now I am thinking of the ferrets.  I can
find no other solution for them and hate to see them sitting here day after
day getting sicker when someone out there may be willing to take them in and
have the surgery done.

I know there are other shelters out there with larger problems than ours,
but as I am face to face with this every day and constantly dealing with the
overwhelming expense of caring for so many needy ferrets, it becomes my only
focus.  Please do not blame me or flame me for trying to find a solution for
these ferrets who would otherwise be normal and healthy but for lack of the
funds for an operation.

Please help me by sharing your opinion here on the list or I guess BIG can
forward your message to me.

Thank you,
A concerned shelter operator