From:
zoosferretsanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2009 11:13:15 -0500
Yesterday (Sept 5th) April "Big Ole Name" from Totally Ferret came to
visit our sanctuary! She brought Dee Gage (Midwest Ferret Fellowship)
with her! I haven't seen Dee since the GCFA show a few years ago, when
she transported Rocket & Peanut to us.

April & Dee had another very special little guest with them. Some of
you may remember the story of a family who went to bed one night,
without locating their little furkid, who was somewhere in the house.
When she was later discovered, with her front leg caught in the
bedspring, it was too late. The leg needed to be amputated. The little
girl wound up with Dee. Several of you pitched in towards that surgery,
and you did a good thing. Diamond is one of the sweetest little
furchildren I have ever met. She is doing fabulously! In fact at first
glance, one couldn't even TELL one of her legs is missing--she is doing
that well! (Excellent surgical work.)

April & Dee got to meet most of our board members, & 70 furkids. (They
also got to meet little Farrah, and her ferrents, who came yesterday
to visit her.) We spent several hours sharing stories, playing with
ferrets, and enjoying some food. They both shared some pictures with
us too. It was great!

It is just the best, spending time with other shelter moms (and I do
group April in with us, as her mom runs a shelter too.) It is like a
sisterhood. At times, it's almost overwhelming to scan the room, &
realize how many ferret lives have nearly been destroyed, because their
humans were not responsible. The furbabies were nearly killed, because
the humans weren't looking out for the lives entrusted to them. Some
of these kids will never be the same. Shelter ferrents see it all too
often.

April had a soft spot in her heart for Melmin, our little champagne
boy who was mauled by the family dog before coming to us. Melmin had
been blinded in one eye, and had suffered a broken front paw, leg, &
shoulder. It had healed that way. His leg & foot are atrophied,
completely rotated, & facing the wrong way--so he walks just like
Diamond does! It's even the same leg. (April, I'm glad you were flying,
and not driving--or I'd have had to check your purse!)

Many thanks to April & Dee, for taking time out of their busy schedules
to spend some time with us, and to Diane Iverson(on our board) for
making the 2 1/2 hour trip (for the second week in a row!) to be here
too.Diane was here last week when Kris (CarpetSharks Ink) came from
Nebraska with her friend Alicia. (They stopped by on the way back from
the Buckeye Bash.) Thanks to Gregg (on our board), who drives an hour
every Saturday to come scrub the floor. (I'm glad they got to meet
you!) --and thanks to my husband Kurt(also on our board) whose support
I could not live without <3 <3 <3

It was a wonderful day.

Love, Zoo