From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 2 May 1994 12:54:00 -0400
MFarm=Marshall Farms ferrets which are not only sold as pets but also
as lab research animals.  Ferrets are used widely in biomedical research.
If we don't buy them as pets, we will condemn them to life as lab
animals.  When the research is finished the animals are euthenized and
only rarely do any have a chance for a normal ferret life - to play
and be played with, loved, cuddled, and hugged.  MFarm ferrets seem to
have quite a few medical problems.  The researchers and
veterinarians are more qualified to give you info on ferrets as lab
animals and MFarms ferrets medical problems but I can share my
personal experiences with you.  In my views, all ferrets make
wonderful pets - including MFarm ferrets, although there may be
additional medical costs and heartache involved.  Gizzie has chronic
colitis (??), every year from Jan-Apr he has severe diarrhea and I
give him Gentocin for 6 weeks and then regulate him with Kaopectate
twice a day, monitor diet and intake, and add yogurt (which he hates but
I love so I don't feel bad giving it to him).  I've spent hundreds of
dollars on tests with no definite results.  After the first time I was
prepared and could manage his illness better.  The first year he lost
30% of his body weight (I almost lost him), but this last time he only
lost 2 ounces - 4.8 to 4.6 pounds.  I have to keep him meticulously clean
during this time and he refuses to use a litter box - his way of letting
me know all is not well.  Willow also has medical problems but not as
severe as Gizzie.  Ferry who is also a MFarms ferret is showing possible
signs of cancer and will soon be going in for tests so we can stay ahead
of the disease.  Not all Mfarms ferrets are prone to medical problems
but it it something we need to be aware of to provide proper medical
care for our beloved fuzzies.