From:
"Bill Gruber, FML moderator" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 23:30:57 EST
I'd like to throw a few comments into the Modern Ferret debate.  First,
speaking as the moderator, yes, I do think discussion of ferret-related
publications is appropriate on the FML.  I'm pleased that the publishers
of Modern Ferret are online here and can participate in the discussion.

I'm not really sure how to handle this though.  Letting Modern Ferret post
their views here borders on commercial use of the FML, but on the other
hand, Mary and Eric of Modern Ferret are also non-corporate individuals
who are very concerned about ferrets and just happen to publish a magazine.

So... let's try to keep this discussion open and civil.  I think if we stick
with facts and well-reasoned opinion we'll be ok.  Cracks about looking at
page numbers are probably best left unsaid.

As far as my personal opinion in the Ferrets USA vs Modern Ferret arena:
I think they are two very different magazines and it's hard to find much
in common to compare.  I haven't seen the inside of Ferrets USA yet, but
I have seen their other publications.  Ferrets USA will be published only
once a year and I feel the primary purpose of the magazine is to generate
advertising revenue.  That's not to say no attention is paid to editorial
content - I don't think they would intentionally publish inaccurate info,
for example, but I also don't think it would be obvious to them what is
accurate and what is not: they aren't ferret people, they are advertising
machinery.  But yet, it's obvious that some attempt was made to get good
material... hey, the FML's Pam Grant wrote for them!

I *think* - and I hope I'm right - that while Modern Ferret would indeed
love to turn a profit as soon as possible, Modern Ferret is in a sense a
labor of love.  A lot of attention seems to be paid to getting accurate
info and to capturing the spirit of ferret ownership...the goofy pictures,
or the random comment about the ability of ferrets to train their owners,
for example.  And Mary and Eric make no secret that they try to have fun
doing this.  But because the style of Modern Ferret is so unique and, err,
"cutesy" it will turn some people off, I'm sure.  Which is fine... there's
room for many opinions.

I will certainly buy a copy of Ferrets USA as soon as I can find a copy.
I'm surprised some of you have gotten them already, but when more of us have
examined a copy of each magazine perhaps the merits and weakness of both
will be more obvious.

There!  I finally put in my 2 cents on a subject in something other than a
two line moderator's note.

Bill