From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 10:03:54 -0500
We have an urgent need to bring one of the Fredonia ferrets back to KS from
IL (around the Chicago area).  Bryan has decided that this ferret is not
working for his family (I asked him to send a post to the FML also and he
may explain more in his post).  Chicago is 13 hours away from us so it is
much too far for me to leave my crew unattended for the drive there in back.
We need to "ferry" this little one back to us.  Lynda said she is willing to
drive part way to meet someone.  Until we can arrange transportation back to
us we do need to find someone to "hold" our little one.

These ferrets have lived through years of abuse, neglect, mishandling and it
is ingrained in them that all humans, in some cases particularly the male
gender, are out to harm them.  These ferrets are unpredictable.  The bites
are not born of viciousness, but of fear.

It will take time, and then one day they will not be fearful ever again.  It
is as Joe said, like flashbacks.  For a woman it may be easier to understand
the issue of reoccuring rape.  Also similar to a child that grows up in an
abusive family or for adults - spousal abuse.

As a recipient of all of the above that is perhaps why I am able to work
with the hard core cases.  I know those fears first hand and have overcome
each and every one.  I know these unfortunate ferrets will too.  It just
takes time, lots of time.  Months down the line they should be more stable
and trusting.  But they have to learn to trust us first, slowly and at their
own pace.  This is something we cannot rush.

I have overcome many obstacle and I have blossomed.  I have learned to trust
humans.  So shall the retired Fredonia breeders.

Hugs and love to all, tle