From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:18:13 EDT
I can understand the person's post but there are people who want to show
their ferret but cannot be there and being proud of your ferret and even
if they just win one ribbon is enough for most people.  It is that
person's choice if they want to show them or have someone else show
them.  The members and LOS Division Presidents have all transported other
ferrets for others over the years and have shown those ferrets as well.
Any time you bring your ferret out or even if you are purchasing the
ferret from a store, breeder, rescue, individual, etc., you are risking
exposure.  There is no way to avoid risk.  Though the handlers do
everything in their power to prevent bite incidents, etc.  Which is one
of the reasons we ask that you get the rabies, distemper and ADV testing,
so if the question or problem would arise, that ferret is covered.
Though PA, is not like many states which are still listing ferrets as
exotic, and doesn't confiscate the ferret if it is vaccinated.  Also
those entering the hall as a spectator, exhibitor, vendor, etc.  Are
told that it is at their own risk, so if they are bitten by some else's
ferrets, it's at their own risk.  Also we are having walk-ins sign a
paper saying that.  Also LOS is not trying to make more money, if that
was the case, would not be offering coupons and such that take money off,
also we would not be helping other shelters and using the money from the
shows for rescues and such if we were in it for the money.  In fact, on
the contrary, I as well as the President and the divisions, pay for a lot
of their own pockets and do not use the shelter funds unless someone is
in need of the medical treatment.  In fact, this show is coming out of my
commission money and when it comes in, goes into the LOS shelter account.
If you would like to see our accounting records and my own personal bank
account records, you are most welcome but no we are not in it for the
money.  You don't hold a show to make money for your own personal gain,
in fact if that were the case, I am in the wrong business.  We don't make
money from the shows.  We are committed to educating the public.  Also
the point of showing your ferret is show how proud you are of your ferret
from the owner's stand point.

Those putting on the shows, should be committed to educating the public
and endorsing proper care and care keeping of ferrets.  Though some
shows have concentrated more on other things, LOS has not wavered from
educating the public.  But like I said, it is the owner's choice if they
wish one of my Midwest presidents to bring their ferrets out or if they
want the ferret shown before they go back to the Midwest, etc.  But every
one has an opinion and I see your point but it is the opinion/decision of
those who want to show their ferrets but since others were already doing
it, I thought that it would be nice to extend the same to others.  Though
you raised many good points and I am glad you asked so I could clarify
things.  I just didn't appreciate the comment about LOS and us being in
for the money.  That is an uncalled for libelous remark.  I agreed with
your points about the ferret welfare and I thank you for bringing that
to my attention so that I may answer any lingering questions.

As for my presidents, I have been to all their houses and checked their
records, had vets check their records, been there when vaccinations were
done, tests, etc. and have not found records to be falsified.  If anyone
has proof of falsification of any records that they have from one of my
members or presidents, please bring it to me or send it to me.  My
address is PO Box 866, Levittown, PA 19058.  This way I may look into
and rectify the situation.  Until then, I have not seen anything to
support the rumors.  On the contrary, with all the proof I gathered and
the records, etc., I do not show any falsification of records whatsoever.
If anyone has any concerns or questions, please email me directly,
comments made on this post about my organization or the officers, should
be sent to me and not directed to everyone.  This is more of a personal
flame and is not suitable for the educating means of these post.  Do you
agree, BIG?  I would appreciate any further comments about LOS directly
and it's divisions to be sent to me directly.  My email is
[log in to unmask]  Thank you for your time.

[Moderator's note: It could be a personal flame -- but the comment was
made about alleged behaviour of an LOS division president -- which I
didn't feel applied to you.  I do think, however, that the poster should
have backed up the claim -- such allegations out of context usually are
not as credible, especially when made anonymously.  BIG]