From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:05:08 EST
Hi Lori.  I'm very surprised that your manager is open to a discussion
about this at all.  So count yourself as very lucky.  It is wonderful
that you have the chance to do what you are doing.  What a wonderful
opportunity to share with the immediate public the attributes of these
wonderful little animals.

I had to move because of owning ferrets (I had five ferrets in a two
bedroom apart).  Over the years, none of the apartment complexes here
would accept even ONE "caged" ferret with their residents let alone more
(today we own one more ferret due to this happening to another couple).
In our case my son Sean was a "nationally" known figure who represented
the possibility of ferrets as therapy animals and their benefits.
Despite this, no one would change their mind here for even one ferret.
I myself did not choose to pursue the course that you are taking because
I was afraid of living where we were not "wanted."  I've seen other
residents battle and win the right to reside in their homes for differing
reasons (animals included), only to suffer later on for many reasons.  In
any case it was also a great opportunity for us to work on getting some
sort of house.  It's all a personal choice and each situation governs a
different reaction.  I hope you get some helpful replies.  I'd be
interested in them as well.  I must tell you that the ferrets were an
ADVANTAGE in us getting a loan for a house (that in itself is another
story).

I think you're main obstacle however will be the "number" of animals that
you have in a small apartment.  It's much easier to fight for one (or
even two) animals as therapy animals than it is for multiple ones.  Think
of the situation and the ferrets as dogs.  Would a complex be accepting
of one individual needing say 5 therapy dogs?  I honestly don't think so.
But they would consider one.  PLEASE don't take this as meaning that I
don't think that multiple animals are not therapeutic or even needed in
your case.  I'm trying to be helpful in letting you know the main
obstacle you might be up against so you can better prepare yourself.
It will be difficult finding any information about having "multiple"
therapy animals to be honest with you.  Do not loose hope, the fact that
the manager is being so helpful means everything here.

There is a lot of homework for you to do.  Most important is
documentation demonstrating that ferrets are domesticated, not wild and
that they are not rodents.  Play up the fact that they have been bred
to hunt rodents and vermin.  It's funny, but when I do this, people
immediately feel a little bit more relaxed knowing that the animal does
not like the very same things as they don't (snakes, rats, etc.).  Get a
published paper from the CDC concerning rabies and ferrets.  I think that
is always an eye opener for people.  I think Bob Church published an
article for Modern Ferret about that very topic.

Next would the therapy animal information.  I will be blunt with you,
there are no studies exploring the possibilities of ferrets as therapy
animals as groups.  There has been a limited study with them in a
singular situation.  Possibly it would be better to seek out information
about ill people benefiting from animals ... benefiting from therapy
animals as a whole.  You can couple these with the ferret information.
Perhaps Delta society can help direct you on this?  Or perhaps readers
will know of publications about animals helping the ill and being
therapeutic.

I wish I could do more.  But take it from one that knows, the
information is not really out there, and those with anecdotal and
practical experience is limited.  I think in your case collective
info may be the answer as I suggested. :)

May I also suggest something from experience?  Keep that apartment
spotless, and I don't just mean with your animals.  Don't give them
reason to pick apart things.  Stay pleasant with everyone as much as
possible.  In regard to the animals... I can't state that you can't keep
them clean enough.  Non animal people are extremely picky!  Baths,
laundering, scooping, even neatness in appearance of the cages really
does help.  I have pages on my site about allergies and odors ... go
check em out in case there are things you haven't thought of. :)

This whole situation is intriguing, so please keep us updated regularly.
Who knows who you will help.

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/