Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:18:27 -0700
Hi, Anne.  I guess I am the list audiologist and so I thought I would
address the ear infection issue.  I am going to give general information
as I do not have first hand experience with Lizzie.  My experience is
with humans and it is vast.  I hope this helps.

Ear infections can be caused by many things and will usually be
accompanied by a bacteria.  This will require antibiotics to clear.  Even
clear fluids may require steroids to clear.  Some bacteria are resistent
to drugs.  Baytril is a good broad spectrum drug for ear infections.

It looks like a lot more than it is, usually.  The middle ear will only
hold a few drops of fluid.  By the way, there are TWO middle ears, one
for each side.  They are separate and, in the ferret and human, do not
connect to each other.  Either one or both can be infected.  If there is
drainage (pus, blood, fluid), it means the eardrum has ruptured.

Can it spread?  Yes.  The mastoid area in which the ear is located,
contains air cells.  So, the infection can spread to the mastoid and,
if not treated, even to the brain.  That is why it is necessary to
treat.  If it gets into the lining of the brain, meningitis can result.

The swelling is probably from infection.  It will also feel warm to the
touch.  These are all symptoms.  In humans we see all the things you
mentioned.  Also, it can cause dizziness.  So, she probably feels
horrible.

Keep her hydrated and fed (I usually mix a/d and warm water and syringe
feed).  Your vet can tell you how much, but I usually try 10 - 12 cc's
(ml) about 4 or 5 times a day.  She needs to recover, just like you would
from a cold.  She will become more active and eat more as she feels
better.

Tests?  Check for the ear mites.  If that is negative, a culture of the
pus can show what antibiotic the bacteria is resistant to.  Good luck.

renee :)

Ferret Aid 2006
June 23 - 25, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada