From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 22:37:38 -0400
In Kentucky your state's organization gives a LOT of autonomy to local
departments.  Like other states with that situation you need to pursue
legislative change.  Volunteers are needed in every state with this
problem.  The AFA, which is the ONLY national organization which helped
compile the Compendium observance data, also has put together packages to
help folks in your situation, and are going to put together more from the
sounds of it.  My impression is that you get to avoid re-inventing the
wheel, learn the techniques which HAVE WORKED elsewhere, and get access to
information which can aid you.  Having had these people do so very much
along with me while I was putting the Compendium compliance info together
for MAF on a volunteer basis, I learned that they work their tails off and
achieve a lot even though they don't have enough volunteers.  Changing
legislation is a grass roots endevour, but that doesn't mean that you
should not be able to utilize what resources already exist.  I wish you
well in your efforts, offer you the simple advice that such an effort works
best if one individual doesn't hog the limelight because you need the
strength of numbers, and you get partners rather enemies if you use
persuasion with solid information rather than vitriol, you should remember
to play a bit of politics with quiet and friendly passing on of information
to those you want to become your allies, plus you should not forget to use
professionals with pull who are already on your side such as your State
Public Health Vet (Mike Auslander), and pass on to you all this person's
name and address to contact at the AFA:

Diane Rogers, legislative chairperson, <[log in to unmask]>.

This is something YOU have to do, but the AFA can help you.  (BTW, I am NOT
a spokesperson for the AFA nor do I hold any position there.  I simply have
found that THEY actually have DONE things rather than just talking.  They
are like individuals like Troy Lynn and Dick Bossart that way, and like
organizations such as the CDFA.  You will know of others with such
dedication (as do I) and you know you can trust them; I feel the same way
about the AFA.  It's that simple.)

Hope I worded this well enough; I'm kind of blown out with this influenza.
Poor Warp seems to possibly have caught it, though we aren't sure, yet,
since today is her first "off" day, but Steve's watching her and I'll
keeping my distance for their safety.

Sukie