From:
Mike Breuer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:47:55 -0500
I'm haven't seen this method posted before, but after 7 months of perforated
ankles, I think I finally found a way to get Mia to stop munching on my
feet.  I have tried several tactics to get her to stop-- cage time, yelling
'Hey!', scruffing her for few seconds-- but nothing seems to deter her.
I've never had a problem getting her to let go, just with getting her to
stop coming after them.  It seems once it occurs to her that my ankles make
a good chew-toy, she doesn't want to give up.  Of course I expect her to
attack my feet when we're chasing each other around the room, but what I
could not break her of is just walking up and biting them without
provocation.

I have never had a problem with her biting my hands, and I figured that
because I let her lick Ferretone off of my fingers, she looked on them as
something to lick, not something to bite.  Sooooo, I tried walking around
barefoot with a drop or two of ferretone smeared on my ankles.  I know it
sounds weird, but something new had to be tried.  As soon as I put her down,
she went for my feet (which is what she usually does when we start playing).
She found the ferretone right away and began licking-- it tickled quite a
bit as you might imagine.  After she had gotten most of it, we moved on to
other games.  But for the rest of the evening the most she ever did to my
feet was sniff them or give a quick lick.  Finally, after a few hours she
did bite my ankle, but I used cage time as a discipline method, which seems
to have detered her.

I have done this for a couple of days in a row, but I'm thinking I should
start cutting back.  After all, she doesn't expect ferretone on my hands
every time I reach toward her.  I have tried to keep the amount within the
daily recommendations on the label.  Does anyone know of anything else I
should be wary of?

Mike