From:
sheena staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 21:46:56 -0800
>From:    Sue Kocher <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Omnivorous ferrets?
>>Actually that is far from true. They are omnivores and thrive on finely
>>chopped fruits and vegetables and really like meat. They can survive in
>>the wild which is why California banned them.

It's funny you should mention this because I was recently going to make a
comment about the same subject, more or less.

I recently met a woman with a ferret who is nearly 8 years old.  He is
chubby, but not fat, has a beautiful coat, has never had a health problem
his whole life and still loves to play and dance.  The woman was asking me
about boarding, whether I did it, because it was expensive at her vet's and
she had to prepare his food in advance.  I was thinking her vet must be real
stupid if they couldn't pour kitty kibble into a dish before I realized her
ferret must eat something different.  So I asked her what her ferret did in
fact eat and she replied:

"Cantaloupe mostly, some fresh broccolli and Kentucky Fried Chicken if I
peel the skin off for him, on ocassion".  Wow, I was shocked.  She said when
she got him as a kit (her first ferret) the breeder told her that's what he
needed to eat, and her not knowing any better fed it to him.  She said when
she heard different, he was past accepting cat food as edible.

So how did this ferret live so long on what appears to be a diet totally
unsuitable for him?  I don;t get it - are we all spending $40.00 a month on
expensive foods for 9 ferrets for nothing? I have always assumed ferrets to
be carnivores and always fed them an appropriate diet, but how on earth can
this woman's ferret be surving on this??

Sheena
GVFIS

[Moderator's note: I recall an FML post about an adopted ferret that had
been raised on Cheerios cereal - the previous owners said that was all the
ferret would eat.  The ferret was basically fine, though if I recall, his
energy level and coat condition could have been better.  There's a difference
between surviving and thriving, but the ability of these critters to adapt
constantly amazes me.  BIG]