From:
"Capt. Nodrog" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 16:46:44 -0500
I see ppl writing about Martin's cages.  Nothing bad about their cages at
all, and they seem to have some very good offers.  Yet, there is another
solution.

A cage can be made by you for far less money if you are handy and have a
few basic tools.

The standard one inch by two inch wire mesn can be bought at most well
stocked hardware, lumber, and grain/feed stores.  A little careful mapping
out and design ideas can make one heck of a unique and taj mahal for your
fert.

Here is what I did: I have a friend who has a sheet metal shop, and had a
base made out of scrap.  By base, I mean a pan for the bottom of the cage.
Pans can come from auto parts stores like driveway oil drip pans, or some
creative shopping.  I built a wood frame for the bottom that was just
slightly larger, about 1/2 inch, on all sides of the pan base.  Under this,
I put on each corner a castor so the cage can be rolled about.  I was
careful to make the width to fit thru doorways.  An important factor...

THe mesh was bent using two pair of pliers to make nice 90 degree angles.
WHere ends come together, either wire ties (wal mart) or simple bailing
like wire wound around the meeting wire will bind the edges together.  The
bottom edge of the cage is stapled to the wood using house wire staples.  A
slot was cut in one end to slide the pan in, so it can be removed for
cleaning, but the slot made small enough to keep a fert from escaping.

Floors and top and ramps are all made from the same wire, just cut to
size and 'wired' in place.  Rug remnants make a great floor and cover for
ramps, making nice grip for the ramps, and easy on the feet when walking.
Just cut holes to mate the ramps to.  I have cardboard tubes from rolls of
industrial shrink wrap from work, made tunnels from one floor to another.
THey love that.  I also used small wood boards, 1/2 inch by 4 inches to
make balconies, covered them with carpet also, stapled to the wood.  I do
not recommend glue as they may chew the glue which may not be healthy.

For a feeder, a rabbit feed bin was bought at a feed store, and fitted to
the out side of the cage.  This is easy to fill, and remove for cleaning.
THe same thing for water.  This water bottle has a trough the ferts can
drink from naturally, holds about 2 gallons, and is mounted on the outside
for easy removal for service about once a week, usually with most of the
original water still in there so fear of no water is all but eliminated.
The water bottle sits on a shelf bolted to the cage and held in place with
small bunji cords (the ferts will try to push the water bottle out and make
an escape to the raisin bin..  ha!).

Now, out of fittings and 1/2 inch water pipe, have made a frame to hold a
shallow plastic bin (again, thanks wal mart) where water is for a private
indoor swimming pool for the ferts.  Ha!

Well, the cage is limited only by one's imagination!  And if you don't like
it, sell it and make another that has even more bizarre and fun ideas.

Gordon, Byet-me and Nibble-ed.