From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:15:58 -0500
>Help!  Anyone ever experience Sudden hind leg weakness ???  My otherwse
>healthy 4 yr. old female, suddenly began dragging her back end. She is a
>good eater, and has had no recent problems.  Please input.  She shows no
>signs of injury, nor looks in pain.

Get to the vet, anything serious will cause hind leg weakness in ferrets:
low blood sugar, infection, spinal injury, etc.  If you have not yet
found out how your vet wants off-hours emergencies handled then ask the
vet on your visit.

   ---

Apologies for falling a bit behind on the FHLs that I bring over the FML
as an FHL co-moderator.  As many know, this year we lost Jumpstart to a
thoracic tumor, almost lost an aunt, lost two uncles, almost lost Steve's
dad to pneumonia (he's home now but in poor shape and having go in for
bronchoscopies and suctioning on an out-patient basis), had the labs that
supplied our earned income dissolve, and on Saturday I had enough of a
systemic reaction to an allergy shot that it and the epi and other meds
threw me almost 2 days behind what remains of any hint of a schedule.
Be patient and, please, don't complain when they clump because they will.
We all have lives outside the internet and sometimes those lives become
very complicated, but I will get to this responsibility.

   ---

Important reminder: nothing replaces a vet visit!

   ---

Illnesses shared between humans and ferrets are zoonoses; if you go to
the geocities site under my name you will find a link that will help you.
Ferrets do NOT get rhinoviruses (human colds), but they DO share some of
our bacterial sinus infections and influenza and a mild one of either of
those can seem like a cold.  (pers.com. Dr. Bruce Williams, expert in the
veterinary pathology of ferrets)

   ---

>I finally realized that the two water bottles weren't getting
>changed as often as when there was just one!  We tried an experiment....
>only fill them about half full, and empty what's left and refill them
>EVERY day.  Guess what??  Problem solved.

There are forms of cyanobacter (Blue green "algae" is actually a bacteria
relative, not an algae, hence the quotes for the common misnomer.) that
have been implicated in a range of GI tract illnesses, including some
being among triggers for some malignancies.  BTW, these forms are NOT
easily told from forms that are safe.  (For further info do a library
search on back Sci. Am.s and for more recent info broaden the search.)
Given your reminder I think I'll do a bottle change and good scrub; with
all that is going on here we got behind.

   ---

Correction to yesterday's chart for accurately aging kits :
53 (days)     7 and 1/2 (weeks)      UM1 (Upper Molar 1, not lower)

   ---

Something I don't get: several of the folks griping the loudest about
"Modern Ferret" have themselves had major illnesses or depression, or
both, and wanted and received patience from most then.  Heck, if i can
be patient for the much longer time it took the AFR to return then a few
months without another magazine isn't going to be a grand trial... Just
don't understand when folks don't extend the same courtesy to folks that
they themselves have requested and benefited from when received, that's
all... Both "Modern Ferret" and "AFR" are fine publications and worth the
waits.  Yes, I grew up in retail and have been in management, and I
understand obligations, but I also know that the Labors of Sisyphus come
at times to us all, and when folks are trying to push a boulder up-hill
we just have to accept that at some point we'll reverse the request by
asking them to be patient with us when it's our turn to apply our
shoulders to other boulders on other hills.

-- Sukie
For health info: