From:
Debbie Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2014 23:10:57 -0400
Greetings fellow ferret lovers,

I've been lurking the FML reading & absorbing the healthy banter on
this topic but one thing I see being overlooked is the original source
of the info this woman received. If I recall correctly she was told
by her Veterinarian that "...ferrets don't need to be seen by a vet,
except for an emergency, and they don't need vaccinations." While her
obstinate refusal to listen to an experienced shelter Op is extremely
frustrating, she is acting from the advice of a professional she has
put her faith & trust in. How many new ferret owners are told by pet
store employees that the little 8 week old ferret they just bought
has been given all it's shots? And they believe them because surly
they would not be giving out inaccurate information, right?

Was posting her name & location on the FML an etiquette faux pas? I
don't see it as that since this is a fairly private, closed group and
given that the 'newbie' won't listen to the voice of experience I
seriously doubt she is a member. As a group of ferret lovers here we
have the best intentions for our beloved mustelids & seriously get our
backs up when we feel there is a threat. This woman could potentially
become one. The spread of inaccurate information about ferrets has
been an ongoing battle for years. We certainly don't need it to be
perpetuated by someone posing themselves to be an 'expert'.
Additionally the other thing that could be spread besides inaccurate
info in a situation as this is the contagious diseases the ferret is
prone to.

I think that we all can agree that more quality ferret shelters are
needed. Ideally this woman should be mentored. That being said could
we, as a whole, work on some sort of written ferret sheltering
guidelines that can be shared with someone wanting to get onto this
crazy ride as well as each other? It's time to embrace not chase away
those willing to help.

Since the initial inaccurate information she was given came from her
Veterinarian might that person be the first point of correction to
consider?

Respectfully,
Debbie Saunders
Director, Big Lick Ferret Shelter & Hospice
Roanoke, VA

"I'm not suffering from Alzheimer's, I have ferrets..."
D. Saunders

http://www.biglickferretshelter.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/blfsh/

http://www.starcityferrets.mysite.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/starcityferretclub/

http://weaselwares.weebly.com/index.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weasel-Wares/154576534601624

"If you can't afford the Vet, you can't afford the pet."