From:
Ferretnews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 17:43:21 EDT
Hello everyone,

Just a quick note to thank everyone who contributed to CFL's stamp drive.
A special thank you to Mickie Wingate and the Great Lakes Ferret
Association for a donation to cover 500 stamps!  An equally generous
donation came from another supporter out of state, Todd, you're special!

Many of you sent donations and stamps and I hope I can express my sincere
thanks for all of the Californians working so hard on this issue.  It's very
touching to see the kind of support this issue receives from people who do
not live here but care deeply about the plight of ferrets and their owners
in CA.  Californians have also been generous in their support.  Hyper-fur
products from LA sent stamps as did members of the Bay Area LOS as well as
many, many individual Californians.  I appreciate the fact that I can count
on many of your for your support when we need it.

I am, however, always surprised by so many who have a direct stake in our
efforts and are able to let the requests for support go by. It's difficult to
believe that most people are really unable to send $10.00 or $20.00 at some
point during the month to help with our costs.  Perhaps Californians don't
realize the costs involved in carrying a bill, and in fighting the state for
five long years.  This is just one mailing out of dozens we've made over the
last several years.  Other bills come from our lobbyist, $125.00 just last
month alone, phone and fax specifically for the ferret issue which totals
well over $200.00.  The misinformation campaign which you can see on our
webpage was faxed to over 250 people in the Senate and the Assembly as well
as talk radio, TV and newspapers.  Each fax cost between $40-$60 and my
records show the cost to me for 12 or 13 of these was over $600.00.  I have
yet to reimburse myself for this cost!

So, Californians who have not contributed, please simply assume we need your
help.  Costs include copying, paper, envelopes, mailing, phone, fax,
lobbyist, and I'm sure I'm forgetting many things.  Though I know I'm not
including any expenses directly incurred by me to go to Sacramento and
testify or lobby for the bill.  Besides a full day of my time (by far the
most costly item to me) it costs almost $20.00 per trip in gas.  Remember,
we don't have any dues.  If you are concerned that CFL might be too flush,
and your donation is not needed, please think again and consider forgoing a
movie one night, or keeping a CFL change jar in your kitchen.  Help us keep
up the fight.  You are the ones that will benefit from it.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL)
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ferretnews.org-- CFL Website
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR STATE SENATOR BY VISITING THIS SITE!!
CALL AND WRITE YOUR SENATOR AND GOV. WILSON--DON'T LET OUR BILL DIE!