Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 23:39:50 -0700
Smell is just one way to know when a food is o.k. to feed, but
certainly not the only way to know if a food is safe to feed. Kibble
doesn't smell very good to begin with, but when it has gone "off" it
smells even worse. Depending on the kibble base and main ingredients,
and the problem, there can be several tell tale odors that indicate
the kibble is not fit for consumption.

Considering how olfactory oriented ferrets are - they are able to
detect odors we cannot and if they refuse to eat a particular kibble it
could very well be that the kibble has gone "off" but not to the point
our human noses can discern. People who regularly wear perfume, cologne
or scented clothing or who smoke are at an olfactory disadvantage. So a
kibble could be well gone before they notice; but the ferrets can pick
up on the turned food very quickly.

If the kibble has a high fat content and has not been stored correctly
the fats and oils can go rancid. The best way to describe a rancid fat
smell is it will smell like the old, nasty, trash oil dumpster behind
any McDonald's or Burger King or Chinese restaurant.

If the kibble is a potato flour base and has gone "off" there may be a
pungent dirt smell with sickening sweet overtones.

A corn based kibble that has gone "off" may smell quite moldy or even
like alcohol.

A kibble with lots of fish meal that has gone off will really be nasty
smelling indeed, combined odors of fish and rancid oil - will take your
breath away.

A kibble that is infested with grain mites will smell yeasty and the
mites will look simply like white or beige powder, until you watch
closely and can see the powder moving on its own and following little
trails!

Some kibble will have grain moths, beetles or meal worms. Often this
kibble will look like there are spider webs, or cotton filaments.
Depending upon the infestation there may or may not be an odor yet.
When the infestation is well advanced there will be a musty smell.

Kibble that has gotten wet will definitely smell moldy and may even
have mold or fungus growing from it!

Other indicators that the kibble has gone off, besides smell, can be
color, texture, and form. If any differences are noticed, do NOT feed
the kibble. Wash your hands thoroughly as well as any surfaces and
utensils contacted. Reclose and seal the bag and return it to the
store. I would contact the manufacturer and let them know about the
problems found.

Problems may not always be from the manufacturer - they could arise
during shipping, handling, storage, retailing and even consumer
mishandling. But to be safe it is wise to note the manufacture date,
expiration date and lot number of the product.

Although it may look good for the budget, buying kibble in bulk is
not always a good idea unless you have lots of freezer space or lot
of ferret to feed. Transfer the kibble to an airtight container (or
several) save the bag label with lot# and expiration date. Tuck it in
to a container, mark the other containers. Only mix together what you
can feed in a week and keep this container in the fridge.

While I don't feed kibble anymore, (all my ferrets are natural feeders)
I have fed kibble throughout my lifetime to the zoo of animals that
have been my family and have run across first hand, many of these gross
smelly kibble issues.

Regards,
Kim