From:
Laura Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 2009 23:12:32 -0800
The problem with cages if if you get in accident odds are the cage will
get crushed or tossed about - along with your ferrets. I've traveled
away for the weekend showing my cats and a couple of times have brought
along a ferret that had recently had surgery or needed meds. All I did
was use a larger hard plastic cat crate (the size that's big enough to
fit two adult cats/Beagle-sized dog) with a corner litter box, barrel
or hammock (depending on whether it was warm or cool out) and a food
bowl. I brought along a water bottle but only attached it to the cage
during rest stops as the bouncing of a car will leak it everywhere - as
would a bowl. I also brought along a roll of papers towels and a small
squirt bottle with some cleaner so you can easily keep the litterbox
clean.

If you stay in a hotel/friends house/wherever you can let the ferret
out for romping in the bathroom once you make sure there aren't any
under-cabinet gaps or hazards. The carriers I have also have a notch on
the top where you slide the seat belt through. I also take bungie cords
and attach the cage and the sides so even if I slam on the brakes that
cage isn't moving.

The PetMate Kennel Cabs are the ones I swear by. Super secure, safe,
easy to clean and quite affordable. I have three I've had for my cats
for showing over the past three years and one spare larger one that two
of my cats flew in when I moved cross-country that I've used for what I
described above.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3623612

Laura Holland