From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2012 12:20:08 -0400
Good Morning All,

I am happy to report that unlike Katrina and Rita, most of the folks
on the coast of Mississippi were prepared, evacuated with their pets,
and fared much much better with Issac!

We are still receiving reports from LA that some of the folks there,
untouched by Katrina, found themselves surviving a tremendous amount
of flooding and damage in the aftermath - even tornados! The parents
of a pair of ferrets we are boarding told the horrific tale of how they
almost drowned in their house with their pets when the waters rose at
such a rapid rate, they got trapped in their house. They waited it out
in the attic and, thankfully, these folks were rescued along with their
pets. They thought since they survived Katrina, they would survive
Issac.

Raisins has a pair of 2-year old sable boys from Waveland that
initially waited out Issac at the fairgrounds in Jackson that was
converted to an animal shelter - housing all kinds of animals, even
livestock. The family decided that they had had enough of the coast
and the hurricanes, surrendered their ferrets and three cats, and
moved to a relatives home in Nevada. sigh...

We also are boarding a pair of fuzzies from near the New Orleans
area. Their owners temporarily relocated to Memphis (also living with
relatives) and they called us yesterday and are deciding whether or not
to remain in the mid-south. The husband has a job opportunity here in
Memphis and since their house is a total loss due to massive flooding
damage, they may just take the insurance settlement and not return to
New Orleans. It appears they have had it also!! Time will tell if the
ferrets will be a surrender. I hope they reclaim their pets and we have
given them some time to decide.

I heard this morning that Issac is reforming and gaining strength in
the gulf...can you believe that?!

Respectfully submitted,
Maren Qualls
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS