From:
William Alan Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 17:27:36 -0500
From:    Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Neutering Males Affects Adult Size?
I can not tell you about a single ferret that was allowed to grow up both
neutered and unneutered (yeah smart-aleck) but from judging ferrets and
stwearding while others judge ferrets it is pretty easy to tell early
altered ferrets from late altered ferrets.  Pet store early altered ferrets
are smaller and less developed than late altered ferrets and these in turn
show less solid development from whole breeding animals.  I'm sure other
breeder/judges could tell you the same thing.  I do not know of a formal
study on this subject.

Subject: Poultry First, Why?
Poultry or other meat is a better terminology.  But with the much lower cost
of poultry compared to other meat sources is why poultry is the choice.
Fish is often inexpensive but not favored as much by ferrets so it isn't
used as much.  You would probably be surprised at how often a polecat could
catch a bird.  Chickens are more like quail and other running bird than
sparrows and other flying birds.

From:    "Charlene M Lowe (Charlene Lowe)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Canadian Ferrets and ECE
I've heard but lend little creedence to Canadians being specifically more
resistant to ECE and the similar Canadian ferrets are the source of ECE.
I'm not saying either is impoassible but the genetic differences between
Canadian and American (from the US but USian sounds funny) are so slight
that it seems unlikely.  If the virus came from Canada it could mean that
Canadian ferrets are more likely to have been exposed and built up a
tolerance type immunity.

From:    [log in to unmask]
I had to comment that I'm glad to see this "wonderful" name on the list.  I
have no idea who you are and if we are related somehow.  There is another
'former' Killian in ferrets also.  Welcome.

From:    Bryan Archell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Cleaning Ears, Deafness (unrelated)
Deafness in ferrets is unfortunately not uncommon.  Especially in pattern
variants of the mitt, blaze and pandas or the champagne (or sinnamon) color.
Different reasons.  The Waardensburg gene is linked to deafness (apparently
there are variants of the Waardensburg and some are not linked to deafness)
in several species including foxes, rats and humans.  The champagnes are
linked to deafness apparently for the same reason albino humans are.  Albino
ferrets are a primary gene type unlike in humans but the dilutes like
champagnes are not as albinism is not a primary trait of humans.

BUT the bottom line answer for the real question is that it really won't
matter very much to your ferret.  You won't be able to call a deaf ferret
with a squeek toy but it shouldn't affect the general health and life of the
ferret.  Remember that the defensive mechanisms associated with hearing
won't be there so say a barking dog that might injure the ferret won't be
heard.

We have ferrets that I think might be deaf.  Kind of hard to check since
they are very good at ignoring sounds they don't 'want' to hear.  But please
don't try to test hearing by tossing your ferret in the air.  This silly
method has been passing around the net but is not a hearing test, it is only
a balance test that really accomplishes nothing.

From:    Chuck Renaud <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Corn cob bedding/Shoulder-training plea for help
I'm not happy to hear this.  We had stopped using corn cob litter ourselves
but now don't want to recommend it.  I would really appreciate (private to
reduce FML clutter) more information and details on this.

Not all ferrets want to be shoulder trained.  I'm not sure you can expect
all ferrets to want to ride up there.

From:    Kristy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Ermine
Ermine are winter colored weasels - not sure of the exact species of weasel.
All (or at least most) mustelids seem to have similarities in behavior as
they originally filled similar niches in the natural world.  I wouldn't
recommend wild animals as pets though if anyone was thinking that.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets