From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 10:02:02 EST
Re: Ferret Photography
>Anyone try to photograph the little ferts??  I'm putting together a big w
>all hanging of all my pets for my ex-roomie (who hellped me accumulate the
>family) and i'm trying to get pictures of everyone....

A secret in ferret photography that I have found is get all your photo stuff
ready when they are sleeping and when you are ready wake them up.  They're
slower moving when they first get up, but you have to be quick!  It doesn't
last long!!!!  I've gotten some pretty cute and funny pictures of them.  The
funniest is of Squirt who I snapped a pic of in mid yawn.  It looks like
he's part Toon in the pic 'cuz his big 'ol tongue is out and curled around
and it looks like he's laughing....sort of like the things you see cartoon
characters do on Looney Toons!

Try laying on the floor to get pics at ferret-level as well.  Or put them on
the bed when you're on the floor looking up at them for an interesting
ferret angle.  (How many times do you look up at them?)

Treats or the smell of them can make them interested in different things
long enough for you to set up a shot....let your imagination run wild.

Re: Moving to Toronto and NY legality
>We might be moving to Toronto soon ( maybe before the new year! ).  We have
>two ferrets and we wondering if there are any places in the area where they
>are illegal...

It depends upon which NY you are speaking of.  They are illegal in NY City,
but are legal w/ a permit in NY State.  Too many people think that NY=NYC,
but there is a whole lot of New York that isn't New York City.  I'm sure to
be legal, you'd need a permit to cross through NY State, but unlike CA,
there are no state border check points.  If you are crossing into Canada,
however, there are checkpoints and that you will have to deal w/ to bring
your ferret into Canada.  Folks have posted here before with what is
necessary to bring a ferret into Canada, but I really don't remember what
those things are.

Good luck w/ your move. If it happens, you'll be our neighbors across the
lake! (We live in the Rochester area which is across Lake Ontario from
Toronto.)

-kim, squirt (Geez! Telling people 'bout my tongue!),
pippi (I'm always cute!), Atlas (always blank-stares at the camera),
and Hijinx (Can I bite it?)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.