From:
Urban Fredriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 1997 20:19:22 +0200
Ellen Goffin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>But, don't you worry that you or your wife will roll over and smother
>Sammy?

I used to worry. For a little less than a week.

This was long time ago, when I had only a single ferret.  This poor little
girl slep by herself , but at bedtime after a couple of days I asked her if
she didn't want to come to the matress I used to sleep on.  ZOOM!!  And she
never slept anywhere else at nights after that.  She used to start out at
near the throat, with lots and lots of kisses, but in the morning she was
always rolled up next to the pillow.  So clearly she didn't mind me moving
around at nights.

Alison's been a different matter: When she was younger she got into her head
to crawl down inside my pyjama and snuggle next to my back.  Doesn't seem
very safe, does it?  I've of course no way of knowing how she managed, but
she did, night after night.  She had a period when she used the pillow,
but nowanights she prefers to be on top of my feet on the outside of the
blanket -- and she doesn't stay there all night, most likely only early in
the evening and early mornings.

Carmen is in a way worse yet: She sometimes chooses a place _under_ the
sheet I'm on top of, which doesn't give her very many ways to escape, but
she manages anyway.

The reason, I think, is that ferrets don't sleep as hard as they seem to.
When they need to, they wake up _very_ quickly, something I've seen on a
very few occasions, when it's surprised me.

Some ferrets don't want to sleep in my bed [when I'm in it, I know they use
it when I'm away], but from the experience with the few that have wanted to,
I'll never worry again.

--
 Urban Fredriksson  [log in to unmask]
 http://www.alfaskop.net/%7Egriffon/ferrets/